Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day Dream

On Valentine's day, people dream of beds of roses in pink and red, romantic walks along the beach with the a kaleidoscopic sun kissing the horizon. Of fluffy stuffed animals and hearts in all sizes.

I thought, given the bombardment of such visuals in the city where many were invented, I might dream of the same.

I was wrong. This Valentines day, as I lay down to go to sleep expecting, at best a blank dreamless night and at worst a dream of subdued rose tints and the least possible bit of romance, I dreamed a dream of absolute contrast and shocking clarity. Of shades of blue and gold, wrapped in stone.

This Valentine's day, I dreamt of Jerusalem.

I was in Jerusalem. Not sure how I got there and sure of very little else, I was in Jerusalem. In her beating heart. My subconscious exchanged the bouquets for trees, the beach for the markets and the romance for awe. For silence. Confronted with the view of what I knew was Al Aqsa. Tears I hadn't met before greeted me at its doorstep, amidst the hushed crowds of people.

I felt it, I touched it, i saw it, i heard it. I even smelled it.

This valentine's day, my subconscious swapped the romance and the roses for heaven on earth: I was in Jerusalem.
I would chose it a thousand times over, give up year after year of touchable roses and genuine store bought scents and aromas - for this dream to return.

For even if in my head only: I was in Jerusalem.

True story.

4 comments:

Sahar said...

I felt it, I touched it, I was there ...
You took me with you and I pray that one day ( hopefully soon) i will have the honour and privilage to be there with you when you take those steps again......
XO XO XO

AD/DF said...

For in your head your Soul resides...they maintain that who HE loves, HE allows the angels to whisper in their ears, for only through the hushed, balmy soothing whispers known as dreams, Jerusalem speaks to you. Only the few. The pure. Only the choice few. Some get carried mythically there and back, other yearn for it, in no less mythical way. The Lady awaits the lady.......soon

helga said...

butheina, for some reason your post made me remember the 'famous' event of barghouti's idol recitation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GGP89OhAaU&feature=player_embedded#!

Unknown said...

Butheina, I lived an extraordinary 9 days with your beautiful Mom, and lovely, high-spirited and funny sister, Sara on our fantastic challenge in China, and not surprisingly, came back with their wonderful friendship. They spoke a lot about you and highly of you I should say! Therefore, I commend you :) I always hoped that I would step in this glorious city one day...and your blog here just brought tears to my eyes...tagged with beautiful rays of even more hope...hope that I will never lose...hope that I can still visit Jerusalem myself someday! Thank you...